Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Favorite Type of Video Game

Link from The Legend of Zelda
 My favorite type of video game is more of a narrative one, which allows you to switch views easily (you aren't stuck as first person shooter, like in Halo), and has a good solid plot, where you learn vital things as you progress.
For me, the graphics are a major factor of a good game, so I prefer those with realistic characters and settings. However, the art isn't everything, as The Wind Waker, for example, is more cartoon-like, but is one of the funnest games out there.The characters must have unique personalities; they should be believable. 
Conversations should be helpful and not stretched. 

There also should be a sense of exploration and discovery in the game, and mini side quests always add to the fun, as long as they give you decent rewards. That is what makes a game entertaining to play. The storyline shouldn't be too complex, but not too simple by any means. The sound must be adequate as well: what would be the fun in swinging a sword without a cool sound effect, or trudging through the land with no background music? It should also have replay value: you shouldn't simply finish and say well that's that, and never want to come back to it.Overall, it should be a original game which is set aside from others, displaying quality both visually and mentally, and should capture and hold your interest for a long time.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent entry. Both rich in content and graphically appealing.

    I too like to be able to switch views, and have a preference for graphically appealing games. Definitely what initially draws me to a game, but it needs depth after that.

    Sound ... in movies AND video games is SO important. Sound can really make or break a game, both in terms of sound effects and music.

    In terms of replay value, what types of things bring you back?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your feedback, and yes I agree concerning the graphics and sound. As for the replay value, what keeps me coming back to a video game is the timeless, classic appeal of it. The thought of completeing more challenges, as in side-quests, and the desire to beat my previous level of acheivement in the game keeps me wanting more. Discovering extra characters, alternate endings, the level of entertainment recieved from playing it, and even the components like music and graphics help the replayability. In some cases, such as The Legend of Zelda, loyalty to the product line requires you to play the games more. If a video game has dynamic environments, intense challenges, a variety of techniques to complete tasks, and a rich array of assets, you can be guaranteed that I'll be coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to play, so little time! I have trouble completing games let alone finishing them (I said this as a comment on someone else's blog too). Typically I am able to get a flavor for many games and rarely finish one. I am kind of seeking an on going game that has flexibility in character development, story, interactivity (with other humans), etc. I think if I find the right MMO, I may have found what I seek.

    I am planning to try Guild Wars 2 when it comes out. It will be cutting edge graphically, and there is a great deal of talk about how when you complete major quests, they stay completed (for you). Also, it's a pay once/no subscription type of game (micro-transactions though). I tried WOW, but it was too repetitive. I tried LOTR but it did not have the epicness of the story (better suited to an RTS in my opinion.)

    ReplyDelete